To help newcomers settle in Ontario, the following are some important IDs and government benefits information to get you started in this new place

The Ontario Newcomers page provides links to information that helps you during your first few days in Ontario.

The Canadian Federal Government has also provided newcomers and immigrants with information on areas such as immigrant services, assessment of credentials, travelling, applying for PR card, applying for citizenship, and fraud protection.

First Days Guide is a page from, which is a website set up by the Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants. It explains what you need to know in your first 2 weeks in Ontario. It contains important information and forms from and it will help you with your first steps


You will require a SIN to work in Canada or to receive government benefits. You can obtain a SIN from Service Canada.

More Details

The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) pays for basic medical services for most Ontario residents. You should apply for OHIP as soon as you arrive.

More Details

To drive on Ontario roads, you need to carry a valid driver’s licence and insurance at all times. It is important to obey traffic laws and drive safely.

How to get your first driver’s licence

If your children are under 18 years old, you may be able to receive the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). The CCB is a monthly payment that helps families with the cost of raising children.

More Details

If you are renting a residential unit, here are some useful links to information to help you:
Starting a Tenancy
Guide to Ontario’s standard lease for newcomers
Renting in Ontario: Your rights
What tenants need to know about the law
A Guide to the Residential Tenancies Act
Frequently Asked Questions

When you are ready to buy your new home, the Ontario Real Estate Association has “How to Buy Your Home” book available to consumers for free. Call 1-800-563-HOME or 1-800-563-4663 to order. also provides valuable information for home buyers as well as listings for properties that are on sale.

If you are using public transits within Toronto, TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) has a trip planner online to help you coordinate your trip using subway, buses and streetcars.

Viva connects Markham, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket, Vaughan and links York Region with Toronto and its subway system, GO Transit and the Region of Peel. It operates along major corridors much like an above-ground subway. Viva also has a trip planner to help you plan ahead.

GO Trains and GO Buses are regional public transit stretching from Hamilton and Kitchener-Waterloo in the west to Newcastle and Peterborough in the east, and from Orangeville, Barrie and Beaverton in the north to Niagara Falls in the south. It connects with every municipal transit system in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas, including the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC). To plan your trip, you may utilize their trip planner online.

Car sharing is becoming popular in Toronto. Currently, the 3 main providers are Zipcar, AutoSare, and car2go. Here is a in-depth evaluation and comparison of these 3 choices.

When you want to eat out and wonder where to find good food or reviews on restaurants in your area, here are a few links to help you:

If you are hungry for yummy Malaysian food, then please remember to enjoy the best Malaysian Restaurant in Toronto serving authentic Halal Malaysian Cuisine.
Gourmet Malaysia Restaurant is also a 6000 sq. ft. Banquet Hall with a beautiful stage for live performance and dance floor. Moreover, they also have a beautiful VIP Room with karaoke machine and dance floor with disco lights, ready to use for the enjoyable singing club, ballroom dancing, salsa dancing and bachata dancing club.

Some other useful links:

Zomato Toronto
Toronto Life
Trip Advisor

60 Boteler Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8Y7





Suites 1805 FortisBC Centre
1111 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 4M3

Phone: (+1) 604 685 9550

Fax: (+1) 604 685 9520



200 Consumers Road, Suite 808
Toronto, Ontario M2J 4R4 Canada

Phone: +1-416-618-0966


Emergency Numbers

Emergencies requiring urgent medical treatment, fire, police services: 911

SickKids Hospital: 416-813-1500
Mount Sinai Hospital: 416-586-5054
Scarborough Centenary Hospital: 416-284-8131
Scarborough Grace Hospital: 416-495-2400
Scarborough General Hospital: 416-438-2911
Toronto East General Hospital: 416-461-8272
Toronto Western Hospital: 416-603-5801

Non-Life Threatening Situations: 416-392-2000

Assault Help Lines
Women’s Assault Helpline: 416-863-0511
Help Line for the Deaf (TTY): 1-866-863-7868 

Children Abuse
Catholic Children’s Aid Society: 416-395-1500
Children’s Aid Society of Toronto: 416-924-4646
Jewish Children’s Aid Society: 416-638-7800

Distress Centers
Greater Toronto Area (GTA) phone: 416-408-4357
Greater Toronto Area (GTA) SMS: 45645
Gerstein Centre: 416-929-5200
Durham Crisis and Mental Health Line: 905-666-0483
Spectra Helpline: 416-920-0497 or 905-459-7777 (Brampton and Mississauga)
Community Crisis Line Scarborough/Rouge Hospital: 416-495-2891
Kid’s Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868
Salvation Army Suicide Prevention Helpline: 905-522-1477
Drug Addiction Rehabilitation Helpline: 1-800-565-8603

Further resources available at

Organ Donors
Organ Donors: 1-800-263-2833

Reporting a Crime
Greater Toronto Area (GTA): 416-808-2222
Asian Crime Investigation Unit: 416-808-2222
Crime Stoppers: 416-222-8477

Join us

Membership Application form 

MAC’s Constitution 
Formal description of
the Association’s objectives


Malaysian High Commission in Ottawa >>

Honorary Consul
Henry Leong Bee Lee
200 Consumers Road, Suite 808
Toronto Ontario M2J 4R4

For appointments please call: (416) 618-0966

Contact Us

Phone: (416) 618-0966
Fax: (905) 629-0421

Malaysian Association of Canada
89 Donalda Crescent
Toronto, Ontario M1S 1P1